Wednesday, November 15, 2006

So what's next?

My plan after finishing the evolution manga book was to start seriously working on this fictional idea I have for a manga series. But a month after that book was published, Otsuka-san emailed and suggested that we work on another educational book. This time on a topic that will have a much higher demand. “OK,” I thought. “I still have some time before my wife finishes her medical residency. If we can hammer out this book in a reasonable amount of time, maybe I can create a financial buffer to help ease that rough transition to going full-time.”

My wife is going to let me focus on my manga work after her residency, which means I’d quit my day job to prepare for a weekly or monthly series. That also means that there’ll be no income from my side for a while, so the manga career’s gotta work out or it’s not going to be pretty (think “Texas Chainsaw Massacre”).

So the next goal will be to finish the next manga book soon and get some sales in before my wife finishes residency.


This time, it’s a manga book on math.

“Math?!” you wonder. “Who would want to read about such a horrible topic!?” That’s exactly the point. In Japan, lots of people have to study math for college entrance exams (unlike evolution, which may just be briefly discussed). Obviously, not everyone is going to have an easy time learning math, so this manga book will aim to help get those people started by focusing on the basics.

Don’t worry. I’ll keep it really simple. I promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home